N500m Campaign Fund: Witness spills messy details on Belgore, ex-minister's involvement

Date: 2017-03-17

Soiled details of how embattled former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) gubernatorial aspirant in Kwara State, Dele Belgore (SAN) and ex-minister of National Planning, Prof. Suleiman Abubakar allegedly received N500 million from the looted $115 million by former Minister of Petroleum, Diezani Alison-Madueke was narrated in court by one of the prosecution witnesses on Tuesday.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said the money (about N37 billion) was allegedly shared by Alison-Madueke to different individuals in 36 states across the country ahead of the 2015 elections.

Earlier on Monday and led in evidence by the EFCC prosecutor, Rotimi Oyedepo, the witness narrated: thus "Sometime in April 2014, our managing director, gave a directive that certain companies and individuals would pay some amount of money into an account with our bank. The purpose of the payment was not disclosed. Over the period, thereafter, some amounts were paid into the account. The funds were deposited in dollar. The total sum was $115,010,000.

"On March 27, 2015, there was an instruction from the former Petroleum Resources minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, through our managing director, that the funds in the account should be converted to naira and paid to certain individuals of which the list of beneficiaries was sent to our managing director and the amount to be paid to them in naira. The funds were paid according to Alison-Madueke's instructions. On the list sent to our branch, the names of the defendants (Belgore and Suleiman) were on that list because the money was paid in about 36 states of the federation. The defendants are not customers of our bank. The instruction was that the sum of N450m should be paid to Mr. Dele Belgore (SAN) and Prof. Abubakar Suleiman.

"They both received the money and filled the receipt of payment as evidence of receipt of the money and acknowledgment of same. They both signed separate receipts of payment for the same N450million on March 26, 2015.

However, testifying further on Tuesday against the embattled Kwara PDP chieftains at the federal high court, Olaobaju under cross-examination by Belgore's lawyer, Chief Ebun Shofunde (SAN), told the court that the accused personally stormed the bank to receive the money at night in cash, adding that the entire transaction was captured in the Close Circuit Television (CCTV) camera of the bank. According to him, the cash was arranged in denominations of N1,000 and N500 and was (deliberately) not credited to any account.

He said part of the Diezani's loot was delivered to the bank from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in bullion van and refusal of the former minister of National Planning to identify himself initially delayed the collection when the duo arrived the bank.

"It is not true that none of the defendants collected one kobo out of the N450 million. The money was counted by way of bundle counting, and they were in N1,000 and N500 denominations. The money was kept overnight and in the vaults.

"That very day, before the beneficiaries came, we had already stacked the money for them to pick. As a professional banker, I can count N1billion in 20 minutes.

But there was a delay because the minister refused to show his identity card. The beneficiaries said they could not carry the money that night because it was late. It is not true that none of the beneficiaries collected a dime", he added. EFCC re-arraigned Belgore and Suleiman on an amended money laundering charge in which Mrs. Alison-Madueke was included as a defendant, though "at large". Prosecution counsel Rotimi Oyedepo sought to tender the list, but Suleiman's lawyer, Olatunji Ayanlaja (SAN), argued that the document did not fully comply with Section 84 of the Evidence Act and urged Justice Riwan Aikawa to reject it. Belgore's lawyer, Shofunde said the list emanated from the maker's mail box but Oyedepo said the document substantially satisfied Section 84 of the Evidence Act, and urged the judge to admit it.

According to him, there was a certificate attached to the document, which came from the bank where the money was lodged, signed by its Chief Compliance Officer. EFCC accused the defendants of conspiring to directly take possession of the N450 million, which they reasonably ought to have known form part of the proceeds of an unlawful act.

The commission said they "directly took possession of the sum" and conspired to make cash payment of N450 million, which exceeded the amount authorised by law without going through financial institution".

Belgore and Suleiman however pleaded not guilty to all the counts and Justice Aikawa adjourned till March 23 for ruling. Recall that the commission had also accused them of paying one Sheriff Shagaya the sum of N50 million.

Source

 

Cloud Tag: What's trending

Click on a word/phrase to read more about it.

Geri-Alimi Split Diamond Interchange     Maimunat Oloriegbe     IHS     Eruku     Monthly Sanitation Exercise     REO CAKES     Bello Bature     Volunteers Of Ilorin Community And The Emirate     IDPU     KWASIEC     Ibrahim Labaika     Twitter     JAAC     CBT     Okin Group     Yetunde Balogun     Sunset Workers     Osinbajo     NAWOJ     Surajudeen Akanbi     Abdulkadir Bolakale Sakariyah     John Obuh     Balogun Gambari     Tayo Alao     Amos Justus Sayo     Gani Saadu     Elerin Of Adanla Irese     Al-Ilory     Salman Jawondo     Lawal Arinola Kudirat     Plat Technologies Limited     Abdulazeez Uthman     Durbar Festival     Olaiya Lawal     Omotoso Musa     Kazeem Gbolagade     Kwabes     Orire     Muritala Awodun     Sodiya     Al-Hikmah Radio     KWACOBPA     Sulu Gambari     Kolawole Akande     Wahab Abayawo     Ilorin Metro Park     Saka Keji     Mohammed Khadijat Kubura     Kwara State Geographic Information Service     Umar Saro     Kwara State Infrastructure Development Fund     Isapa     Sobi Hill     Muhammadu Buhari     EFCC     Abraysports FC     Muhammad-Mustapha Suleiman     Ilorin Durbar     Abdulsalam A. Yusuf     Dele Momodu     Yusuf Zulu-Gambari     Gbemi Saraki     Ghali Alaaya     Abdulrahman Iliasu     Taiwo Joseph     Folajimi Aleshinloye     Chief Imam Of Ilorin     Yinka Aluko     Omotosho     Balikis Jawondo     Oyun     Facemasks     Ambassador Kayode Laro     Abubakar Baba Sulaiman     Adewuyi Funmilayo     Saduki Lafiagi     ITEM 7    

Cloud Tag: What's trending

Click on a word/phrase to read more about it.

Dar-Al-Handasah Consultants Ltd     2023 Elections     Nupe     Hassan Taiye Salam     Dunmade     Shehu Alimi Foundation     Joshua Adeyemi Adimula     Muhammed Taofeeq Abdulrazaq     Dele Belgore     Sheriff Shagaya     Ayinde Oyepitan     Abdulmumini Jawondo     Radio Kwara     IYA ALFA NLA     Kupchi Hosea Maxwell     Oluwole Dupe     Raliat Islamic Foundation     Oniyangi     Majlis For Sadakah, Zakat And Waqf     Elelu     Kwara Hotel     Al-Ilory     Offorjama     Ajayi Okasanmi     Towoju     Gbemisola Oguntimehin     Bamikole Omishore     Ministry Of Women Affairs And Social Development     Alapado     Fatimat Saliu     Academic Staff Union Of Universities     QuickWin     Muazam Nayaya     Busari Toyin Isiaka     Sobi Hill     Kamaldeen Gambari     Chief Imam Of Ilorin     Babaita     Kayode Oyin-Zubair     Nigerian Supreme Council For Islamic Affairs     Noah Yusuf     Salihu Ajia     Garba Ado Sanni     Sheikh Ridhwanullah El-ilory     Balogin Alanamu     Biliaminu Aliu     Bolaji Nagode     ASMAU PLAZA     Moshood Mustapha     Share/Tsaragi     Monthly Sanitation Exercise     Sadiq Umar     Marufat Oladosu     Memunat Monsuma     Isaac Aderemi Kolawole     Muslim Media Watch Group Of Nigeria     Bluenile Associates     Allocation     Mohammed Tunde-Jimoh     Alore     Convocation Ceremonies     Isin     Taibat Ayinke Ahmed     Okiki     Bamidele Adegoke Oladimeji     Ahmed Shuaib Buranga     LABTOP     CLAY POT     Binta Abubakar-Mora     Victor Gbenga Yusuf     Bello Abubakar     Federal Allocation     Adama Isa     Onilorin Of Ilorin     Abubakar Baba Sulaiman     Sam Okaula     Aminu Ado Bayero