Confusion over Saraki's trial on Wednesday

Date: 2015-10-20

WILL the trial of Senate President Bukola Saraki commence as scheduled on Wednesday (tomorrow)?

The answer to that question was lost in legal conundrum on Monday, barely 48 hours before Saraki is billed to appear at the Code of Conduct Tribunal to answer 13 charges of false asset declaration between 2003 and 2011 when he was the governor of Kwara State.

The Court of Appeal in Abuja on Monday adjourned indefinitely its judgment in an appeal filed by the Senate president, challenging the validity of the charges against him before the CCT.

However, another panel of the Court of Appeal in Abuja, which had earlier promised to deliver its judgment on the case before the next scheduled appearance of the Senate President before the tribunal on October 21 did not sit on Monday. No new date was fixed for the judgment as lawyers, journalists and a large number of people interested in the case met the courtroom already locked by 2pm when the three-man panel was scheduled to sit on Monday.

The development has sparked uncertainties about the CCT's proceedings on Wednesday, when Saraki's trial has been scheduled to commence. Both the prosecution lawyer, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN); and the defence lead counsel, Mr. Joseph Daudu (SAN), said they did not know the status of Wednesday's proceedings at the CCT.

They said they were confused. Jacobs, who also represents the respondents to Saraki's suit at the Court of Appeal, told Punch correspondent in a telephone interview on Monday that he could not confirm whether or not the CCT proceedings would go on as scheduled.

"We don't know yet. We don't know if the Court of Appeal will deliver its judgment before the tribunal's next adjourned date," he said.

Daudu also expressed similar concern when contacted by Punch correspondent on Monday. "We don't know yet. We are confused too, but it is our work to straighten it out. So I can't tell you anything now," Daudu said.

The appeal court justices, led by Justice Moore Adumein, had on Friday heard and adjourned Saraki's appeal till Monday for judgment. Saraki had on September 22 pleaded not guilty to the 13 charges preferred against him by the Code of Conduct Bureau.

He had filed an appeal against the ruling of the Justice Danladi Umar-led tribunal on the grounds that it wrongly assumed jurisdiction on the case when it came before it on September 18. But another senior lawyer in Saraki's camp, Mr. Mahmud Magaji (SAN), who indicated that Saraki would not be at the tribunal on Wednesday, said that the tribunal had no reason to conduct proceedings in the matter until the Court of Appeal delivered its judgment.

"The matter is before the Court of Appeal, we have argued our brief and judgment has been reserved. So how can a lower court sit over the same matter?" he argued.

When asked if Saraki would appear before the tribunal on Wednesday, he said, "How can he? It seems you don't understand this issue. The matter is already before the Court of Appeal. We must allow the Court of Appeal to decide it either way before the trial at the tribunal can continue."

But a Lagos lawyer, Mr. Jiti Ogunye, insisted that the CCT had no reason to halt Saraki's trial in view of the fact that there was no specific order of stay of its proceedings and the new Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, which provides that criminal proceedings cannot be stayed.

He said, "The Court of Appeal has not granted any order of stay of proceedings of the tribunal. As a matter of law, by virtue of the provisions of the new law in town, which is the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, which is the law guiding the proceedings of the trial of Senate President Bukola Saraki, we can conclude that the law does not envisage that the Court of Appeal would stay its proceedings."

Another lawyer, Mr. Wahab Shittu, in a separate telephone interview with Punch correspondent, said since there was no subsisting order of proceedings, the CCT had no reason to halt the trial. "There is no order for stay of proceedings. I think what we should be insisting on is that the proceedings of the tribunal must be fair," Shittu said.

But a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Dr. Joseph Nwobike, who said the proceedings of the CCT was not purely criminal, even with the provisions of the ACJ Act barring stay of proceedings in criminal trials, it would be better for the CCT to await the judgment of the Court of Appeal before continuing with Saraki's case.

Nwobike said, "It will be better for the Code of Conduct Tribunal to await the judgment of the Court of Appeal. But under the new Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015 if the tribunal is of the view that its proceedings are criminal proceedings, it is entitled to proceed with the proceedings not withstanding that the interlocutory appeal has been heard.

"But that will depend on whether or not the proceedings of the tribunal are criminal in nature. In my humble view, the tribunal's proceedings are not criminal, they are quasi-criminal." A large number of people interested in the case, including journalists, had waited at the entrance of the courtroom ahead of the 2pm scheduled for the judgment of the Court of Appeal on Monday.

One of the defence counsel, Mr. Kehinde Eleja (SAN), who addressed journalists on the development, said he had been able to reach the court registrar who informed him that the judgment was not ready. He said a new date would be communicated to the parties when the judgment was ready.

At the hearing of the appeal on Friday, the Court of Appeal had struck out an application for stay of the CCT proceedings filed by Daudu, Saraki's lead counsel. The appeal panel said it would amount to judicial waste of time if it went ahead to hear the appeal and had to deliver a separate ruling on it after the main appeal had been heard.

The Senate President is challenging his trial at the CCT on many grounds, including that the panel of the CCT, comprising two judges instead of three, is not properly constituted. He is also contending that the CCT, not being a court, could not exercise judicial powers and that the charges filed at the time an Attorney General of the Federation had not been appointed were incompetent.

But the respondents to the appeal - the CCT, the CCB, the Federal Ministry of Justice and a ministry's lawyer, Mr. Muslim Hassan, who signed the charges - had through their counsel, Jacobs, asked the Court of Appeal to dismiss the appeal. Jacobs said the appeal lacked merit and was based on misconception and wrong interpretation of the law.

Source

 

Cloud Tag: What's trending

Click on a word/phrase to read more about it.

Malete     Azeez Salawu     Yahaya A Paniyaro     Garba Dogo     Agbarigidoma     Nnazua     Kale Bayero     Maigida Soludero Transit     IQRA College     Minimum Wage     Niyi Osundare     Sodiya     Alimi     Jimoh Bashir     Yomi Adeboye     Share/Tsaragi     Olatunde Olukoya     Abdulwaheed Musa     KWIRS     Aliyu Olatunji Ajanaku     Muhammad Mustapha Suleiman     Patience Jonathan     Kaosarah Adeyi     Olaiya Victor Mobolaji     Sambo Murtala     Eruku     Kwara Restoration Project     Saad Omo\'ya     Oluwarotimi Boluwatife Adenike     Rabiu Kwankwaso     Alabi Olayemi Abdulrazak     Alfa Belgore     Bayo Onimago     Wahab Issa     Ike Ekweremadu     Shehu Alimi Foundation     Rashidi Yekini     Simeon Sule Ajibola     Esinniobiwa Quareeb     Al-Hikmah Radio     Garba Ado Sanni     Funmi Salau     Fatimat Saliu     IF-K     Oba Abdulrahim     Rotimi Oyedepo     Mahmud Ajeigbe     Sa\'ad Alanamu     Kawu     Segun Abifarin     Kayode Ishola     Ilorin Talaka Parapo     Alabi Lawal     Durosinlohun Kawu     Ayinde Oyepitan     Adolescent Girls Initiative For Learning And Empowerment     Olatunji Abdulmumeen     March 28     KWSIEC     Kola Shittu     Ahmed Ayinla Jimoh     Kwara TV     Quran     Afusat Nike Ibrahim     Adama Isa     Lanre Jimoh     Bello John Olanrewaju     Guber Aspirant     Taofik Abdulkareem     Oloruntoyosi Thomas     Babata     Adanla-Irese     Ohoro Of Shao     IHS     Taiwo Joseph     Oladipo Akanmu Tolani     MAI Akande    

Cloud Tag: What's trending

Click on a word/phrase to read more about it.

Sulu Gambari     General Tunde Idiagbon International Airport Ilorin     Tunde Kazeem     Road Transport Employers Association Of Nigeria     Principal Private Secretary     Olatinwo     Abdulrahman Abdulrasak     Adeleke Ogungbe     Oyeyemi Olasumbo Florence     Ajia-Bako     Idris Amosa Oladipo Saidu     Makama Of Kaiama     Aliyu Umar     Abdulrosheed Okiki     Alfa Belgore     Abdulquawiy Olododo     Sai Kayi     ASUU     Okin High School     Offa     Solomon Edoja     Iyabo Adisa Ibiyeye     Abdul-Rahoof Bello     Coronavirus     KWASSIP     CACOVID     Magaji Are     Elesie Of Esie     2017 Budget     Earlyon Technologies     Kolawole Bashirat     Olofa Of Offa     Kwara Politics     Ohoro Of Shao     Henry Olaosebikan     Adedeji Onimago     Wahab Olasupo Egbewole     Micheal Imodu-Ganmo Road     Abdulraheem Olesin     Sabo-Oke     University Road     Abiodun Oyedepo     College Of Arabic And Islamic Legal Studies     Kwara Pdp     Lanre Issa Onilu     Garment Factory     Timothy Olatunde Fadipe     Kannike     Bashiru Makama     Babatunde Ajeigbe     AbdulGaniyu Kareem     Damilola Yusuf Adelodun     Chief Imam Of Offa     Stephen Fasakin     Saadatu Modibbo-Kawu     IQRA College     Col. Adedipe     Idris Garba     Yusuf Ibitokun Sherifat     Saadu Yusuf     Ella Supreme Tissue Paper     Omu Aran     Dele Momodu     NNPP     Tanke Road     Ilorin West/Asa Federal Constituency     Marufat Oladosu     HYPPADEC     Akeem Lawal     Abubakar Usman Jos     Abdul-Rasheed Na\'Allah     Temitope Ogunbanke     Kunbi Titiloye     Mufutau Gbadamosi Esuwoye     Modibbo Kawu     Tunji Arosanyin     Mohammed Abdulahi